Winter Weather Updates – 2/15/21, 7:00 p.m.
Slidell is now experiencing temperatures below freezing. If you have to be out on the road, please drive with extreme caution.
“Please stay off the roads if possible. Keep warm and stay at home,” said Slidell Mayor Greg Cromer. “This is not only for your safety but for the safety of our first responders who will have to respond to any emergency calls.”
City crews prepared for the possibility of icy roads earlier this afternoon by placing a salt mixture on bridges, overpasses, and any raised roads inside the city limits. This will hopefully help reduce the amount of ice on these roadways.
Other winter-related news:
- Make sure to cover your pipes and bring your pets inside.
- From Cleco: The extremely cold temperatures are causing an increase in demand for power which can result in an overload of the power grid, so Cleco is asking customers to voluntarily reduce their electricity usage to help protect the stability of the power grid and prevent outages. Some actions customers can take to conserve energy include:
• Delay laundry, washing dishes, and other non-essential uses of electricity until this appeal for conservation has ended.• Wash clothes with cold water, cook foods at the lowest possible setting, and refrain from opening the oven door while baking.• Don’t allow warmed air to escape from the home.• Lower the central thermostat to 68 degrees or lower if possible.
- From St. Tammany Parish Government: Residents who need to find a warming shelter to call the Giving Hope Retreat Center located at 31294 Highway 190 in Lacombe. Citizens should bring bedding, comfort items, prescription medication, and any personal hygiene items. Citizens are reminded that alcohol and firearms are not allowed. The Northshore Hotline of the Giving Hope Retreat Center is 985-218-9485. The shelter will be available throughout the duration of the freeze. • From St. Tammany Parish Public School System: There will be distance learning on Tuesday, Feb. 16. Students should check their Google Classroom page for more information. • City of Slidell offices will be closed on Monday, Feb. 15, and Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021. Offices will reopen during regular hours on Wednesday, February 17, 2021. • From Coastal Environmental Services: Trash collection on Tuesday, Feb, 16 and recycling pickup on Wednesday, Feb. 17 has been canceled due to winter weather.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Schools are closed on Tuesday, Feb. 16, but students will be doing distance learning. Students should visit their Google Classroom for more information.
- City of Slidell offices will be closed on Monday, Feb. 15, and Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021. Offices will reopen during regular hours on Wednesday, February 17, 2021.
- Coastal Environmental Services has canceled trash collection on Tuesday, Feb, 16 and recycling pickup on Wednesday, Feb. 17 due to winter weather.