History of KY’s Bicycle Shop
In 1910, Andrew J. Carollo purchased the building for combined home and business use. Carollo’s Grocery operated here until the late 1960s, when Johnny Krolak acquired the property and opened the Slidell Bicycle & Lawnmower Shop.
In 1992, Kevin and Linda Young acquired the building, aiming to preserve its historic character. Their renovations focused on bringing the structure up to code while maintaining its original style. They opened a restaurant—named “KY’s Bicycle Shop” in keeping with the building’s history—and decorated the interior with vintage bicycles and memorabilia. Later, the Youngs also purchased the nearby former Buckley Shoe Store at 2217 Carey Street to ensure its preservation.
ABOUT THE SLIDELL HISTORY STROLL PROJECT:
The Slidell History Scroll is the Girl Scout Gold Award community service project of Sue Helen Ford. The project was inspired when her family participated in a walking history tour in Savannah, Georgia. Sue Helen is grateful for the support of her Girl Scout community, family, and friends, whose encouragement and hard work have brought this vision to life. Special thanks go to her 7th and 8th grade history teachers at Slidell Jr. High – Mr. Treadwell and Mrs. Caldwell – for igniting her passion for history.The narratives featured throughout the Slidell History Stroll were researched and written by Greg Scott, Curator of the Slidell Museum.





