History of the Slidell Auditorium
The Slidell Municipal Auditorium was dedicated on April 18, 2012. This 22,166-square-foot facility was the last of several municipal buildings to reopen following Hurricane Katrina’s destruction in August 2005. The original structure, erected in 1959, contained an auditorium and served as town hall for many years—housing the mayor’s office, the tax collector, other municipal departments, and the town library. As Slidell’s population expanded rapidly in the early 1960s, the community officially became a city in 1964. The burgeoning city soon outgrew the old building, and offices and services relocated elsewhere.
Renovations completed in 1979 repurposed the facility primarily for civic events, teen activities, weddings, lectures, concerts, and other entertainment. Many organizations held regular meetings in its conference rooms, making it Slidell’s social hub until 2005.
The new auditorium features a large open floor plan, a full stage, ample seating, and modern audiovisual infrastructure to support theater productions, concerts, art shows, craft fairs, conventions, fundraisers, and public meetings. As a cultural centerpiece, it provides a platform for artists, performers, and organizations to engage the community. By offering a versatile gathering space, the Slidell Municipal Auditorium has strengthened the city’s cultural and social fabric—fostering the arts, boosting local economic activity, and nurturing civic pride.
ABOUT THE SLIDELL HISTORY STROLL PROJECT:
The Slidell History Scroll is the Girl Scout Gold Award community service project of Sue Helen Ford. The project was inspired when her family participated in a walking history tour in Savannah, Georgia. Sue Helen is grateful for the support of her Girl Scout community, family, and friends, whose encouragement and hard work have brought this vision to life. Special thanks go to her 7th and 8th grade history teachers at Slidell Jr. High – Mr. Treadwell and Mrs. Caldwell – for igniting her passion for history.The narratives featured throughout the Slidell History Stroll were researched and written by Greg Scott, Curator of the Slidell Museum.





